Sunday, February 17, 2008

#12 Do You Digg?

This has been a very frustrating Thing. First of all, it is not my nature to comment on someone else's work from the anonymity of the internet. When I read an article, I talk about it, but only with people whose opinions I trust. I really don't like just blogging it out there. It is too easy to be misinterpreted, flippant, irresponsible. I just am not of that generation.

But I am doing these Things, so I tried. Over the course of a few days, I visited Digg, Reddit, Newsvine, and Mixx. I went to the Washington Post (and signed up for yet another account that floats around out there!), found a news article that was very library-related and decided I could comment on this. So I punched the SHARE button. Because I liked the looks of it, I tried to sign up for a Newsvine account. Twice. It says it will only take a few seconds, but as far as I know, it is still circling, trying to finish my sign-up. I am enough of a web-user that I can't sit there waiting for very long--I waited for six minutes for my instant sign-up, and then decided to try something other than Newsvine.

I moved on to Reddit. I tried to sign up for an account, but when I type in that mysterious-looking security code, it comes back with "your letters stink." How rude! I typed what I thought I saw. I have used this type of security before and NEVER had a problem.

So I decided to "become a member of the Digg community". They don't want me, either. I was instructed to sign up for yet another account, which I did, and waited for the confirmation e-mail--which I received. However, when I clicked on the verification code, it took me to a page that said "error", and I still cannot share my opinions of my library-related article. I contacted their tech support page, but I am still waiting for them to hand-create my account.

I am really in a bind, here. I tried to share using del.icio.us, but that requires you to add buttons to your toolbar. I am really hesitant to do that. I just got a new computer this year, and I don't put anything on my toolbar without written consent of my techhie person. We have had people really slog up their computers because they innocently activated toolbars and buttons that were nothing but trouble.

AND, I work in a school--I cannot use Facebook because it is blocked here. I do not have a computer at home. When it comes time to do the Facebook Thing (yes, I read ahead), I will have to use the public library computer, but they are not open today.

As for the blog prompts: I can see where you could use these tools to stay current on news. I would imagine you get used to looking for certain commentators and learn which ones you agree with or which ones stimulate your thinking. Today, these tools do not seem like productivity enhancers. They have been one giant waste of my time. And, no, I have never read an item as a result of these tools.

I am hoping that all the HOURS I spent on this will count as accomplishing this THING. I will certainly keep trying to break into the Digg community, as that seems my most likely opportunity, but for now I am finished with this really frustrating THING and I'm moving on!

No comments:

theater sets

Theater Sets

From: carolh, 4 minutes ago



Sets from a few plays we have done. The first four are from "Noises Off," the next six are from "Scrooge," and the last are from "Secret Garden."

SlideShare Link