Wednesday, March 12, 2008

#20 Libraries and Social Networks

Electronic Social Networks are not for me. I checked around on MySpace, read some entries, read the articles about MySpace. It does not interest me at all. For one thing, it really makes me feel old. All the advertising or promoting is really aimed at someone who is moving way faster than I am. I have family members who are on MySpace--some of them are almost as old as I am--but I just do not want to go there.

I work in a school library. We do not allow students access to places like MySpace and FaceBook. Most of them are not yet mature enough to put the classroom work ahead of the socializing, so I fear they would spend too much time networking. Also, our resources are extremely limited. We try so hard to keep our computers up and running so kids can get their homework done. I know this has been a recurring theme in my entries, but it is true.

Just for tonight I did get my tech support person to allow MySpace and FaceBook so I could do the Things that require them, but I found that I am not missing anything by not being able to use these tools. I have tried to evaluate honestly whether we are doing our students a disservice by not allowing these tools, but I don't think we are. Most of our students have access to these sites at home. I have not noticed that they have been any more successful at school than kids who cannot go there. I have NEVER had a student tell me anything like "I learned it on FaceBook!" For now, we will keep these sites off-limits at school.

No comments:

theater sets

Theater Sets

From: carolh, 4 minutes ago



Sets from a few plays we have done. The first four are from "Noises Off," the next six are from "Scrooge," and the last are from "Secret Garden."

SlideShare Link